Get your perfect bridal #fauxglow with our ultimate fake tan guide for brides
No bride wants those tell tale, brown stained hands or to risk looking ‘thermo-nuclear orange’ beside their groom on their wedding day.
But a white dress isn’t always the most flattering of colours. In fact your wedding gown can often make you look a little washed out so a sun-kissed glow to your skin is essential.
If you want to avoid a tanning trauma on your special day then follow our ultimate guide to faking it and no one will know it’s a #fauxglow.
WHICH TYPE OF TAN IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- SPRAY TAN – let the professionals take care of you by booking at a spa or salon
- LOTION OR MOUSSE – you can apply these yourself and new formulas are superfast drying, leaving your skin feeling velvety soft
- GRADUAL TANNER – for the tanning newbie who wants to build up her tan gradually.
How to Find the Right Professional
If you’ve never applied fake tan by yourself, then your wedding day is not the time to try.
Instead do your research and find an expert tanning professional with our fake tan guide for brides.
Ideally look for a salon with a Bridal Tanning Specialist who will custom blend the perfect colour for your skin tone.
The right specialist can even contour your body to make you look leaner and firmer, as well as give you a beautiful sun kissed bridal glow.
HAVE A TRIAL
If you want to achieve a natural glow that will perfectly compliment your skin tone, then invest in a tanning trial.
Be guided by your base colour and the time of year. If you’ve been out on the beach and you’re having a summer wedding, then you can go a shade or two darker.
However, if you’re fair with freckles then the lightest of natural shades will gently enhance your skin tone, without any nasty tell-tale signs.
Book your tanning trial as you would your bridal hair and makeup trial. That way there are no surprises and you can guarantee the exact shade you will be on your wedding day.
TIME IT RIGHT
Your trial should be at least four weeks before your wedding. Ideally six weeks is better, just in case you need a second trial to get the absolute perfect shade for you.
You want to book your final tan two days prior to your wedding day; so if for example you are getting married on a Saturday then you want to have your tan applied on the Thursday.
This will allow for the ‘second-shower’ effect after your fake tan application.
The first layer of your tan will have washed away and the tan will have ‘settled into your skin’, revealing a natural soft glow, with no risk of any residue rubbing onto your wedding dress.
PREPARATION IS CRUCIAL
The right preparation is vital for the perfect streak-free fake tan.
- EXFOLIATE thoroughly to remove any dry or rough patches of skin. This will prevent any fake tan from clinging to the surface of dry skin and avoid the dreaded orange patch effect.
- MOISTURISE regularly in the month prior to your fake tan. Well hydrated skin is an essential canvass for the perfect fake tan application. Pay special attention to knees, elbows and feet.
- SHAVE or wax your legs (and anything else) the day BEFORE your fake tan. This will avoid the ‘black spotting’ effect caused by tan getting into open pores.
- SHOWER on the morning of your tan trial to remove all traces of any old fake tan, makeup, deodorant and fragrance.
PRESERVE YOUR TAN
- LOOSE FITTING clothes and flip flops are essential for after your tan application
- Use a gradual tanner on your face and hands to combat the effects of more frequent washing. Tan fades fastest here so apply gradual tanner daily to them to keep the colour balanced between your face, hands and body.
- MOISTURISE your body daily with an oil free formula, to prolong the life of your tan.
ON YOUR WEDDING DAY
On the big day, give your tan a smooth gleam by applying Fake Bake Oil Free Moisturiser. This leaves skin hydrated, supple and super nourished. If it’s a warm day, ask your makeup artist to dust a mineral powder or talc around the top of the dress and underarms. This will help ensure your tan doesn’t rub away.
7 BEST SELF-TAN BRANDS TO TRY AT HOME
- JULES VON HEP – ISLE OF PARADISE Self-Tanning Water – £18.95
Jules Von Hep has spent a decade tanning A-listers and launched his very own brand – Isle of Paradise. This body positive, vegan and cruelty free tan is 100% organic and even helps colour correct your skin. With rave reviews across social media the Isle of Paradise Self-Tanning Water gives you a gorgeous natural glow.
- VITA LIBERATA Invisi Foaming Tan Water – £25
Invisi Foaming Tan Water in Light/Medium is a completely clear tanning mousse for zero risk of transfer. It smells wonderful and gives a natural-looking tan result that develops over 4-8 hours. Lasts for up to 7 days.
- JAMES READ Fool Proof Bronzing Mousse – £18
This tinted mousse is perfect for first time tanners who want a super simple, streak free application. Infused with luxury skincare ingredients this formula dries in minutes and develops in 6-8 hours. Gives a truly natural result for your skin tone.
- FAKE BAKE Flawless Coconut Tanning Serum For Face and Body – £29.95
Get glowing bridal perfection with the Fake Bake Flawless Coconut Face and Body Tanning Serum. A lightweight formula that melts into your skin. Contains hydrating and antiaging Coconut Oil and Silk Amino Acids, giving you a soft sun-kissed glow within 4 to 6 hours.
- ST TROPEZ Express Advanced Bronzing Mousse – £33
With the St Tropez Self Tan Express Advanced Bronzing Mousse (200ml), it’s you who’s in control of your tan. This advanced, fast-acting self tan is streak-free and glides easily onto the skin to create a healthy, natural-looking tan. Leave it on for 1 hour for a sun-kissed effect, 2 hours for a golden glow, or 3 hours for a deep, dark bronze colour.
- TAN LUXE Face and Body Illuminating Drops £35 each
Tan Luxe self-proclaimed this the “No smells, no streaks, no drama’ way to self-tan with their groundbreaking tanning drops. Simply mix 4-6 six drops into your favourite face and body moisturiser. Then apply as you would normally. Use daily as part of your beauty routine to build up a luminous, soft and natural tan.
- BALI BODY Bronzing Lotion – £22.95
Instagram’s hottest new tan brand, Australia’s Bali Body’s Bronzing Lotion gives an instant hit of tan whilst vitamin E helps smooth and soothe your skin.
FAKE TAN S.O.S
Isle of Paradise – Over It Magic Self-Tan Eraser, £17.95
Just in case! This magic remover will quickly and gently exfoliate away any fake tan emergency.
So now you have everything you need to get a fabulous #fauxglow, so you look naturally sun kissed and radiant on your wedding day.